The castle was built on the ancient Roman route that passed through the Valley of Cintoia and is it mentioned for the first time in 1176, in a document of the Abbey of San Cassiano at Montescalari.
The Castle, during the 17th century and 18th century it underwent changes, and now, we can say that the walls have almost circular pattern and consists mainly of buildings that make up the village.
In the castle there is a painting of the Madonna sitting on the throne with the child Jesus, along with Sant’Antonio abate and santa Lucia; John the Baptist is kneeling on the step of the throne and in the foreground you can see the figures of the patrons in prayer.
The bottom shows two glimpses of landscape: the castle of Sezzate, before the changes occurred in the 17th and 18th centuries, and perhaps the river Ema. The attribution of the painting is difficult because it has been restored, however at the beginning was attributed to Guiliano Castellani.